Friday, June 23, 2006

Out with the Morris...


...last night at Hanham as guests of Rag Morris, a mixed side who wear rags and dance Cotswold--rather well I thought. I've never heard a French Horn played for Morris before.

One of the best things about Morris is getting to know pubs like this one, the Old Lock and Weir at Hanham Mills. It is very difficult to find by road, but easy by boat. It stands on the outside of a bend on the Avon with the weir to the right, and the lock (hidden by an island) in front. You might catch a glimpse of it from the London-Bristol train, and think "That is the archetype of an English waterside pub", and it is. When I find out how to include images in this blog, I'll show one of the pub. Until then, just imagine...still water overhung with willows, boats moored alongside, good beer and food, tables under the trees with a view of mallard and moorhen drifting by...and a load of noisy buggers with bells on their legs, prancing about with sticks and hankies!

I wrote some more of the breakfast scene in chapter 2 before I went to work this morning. I've got to finish that before writing the fight scene in chapter 1. There's also a sex scene in chapter 3, which I'm looking forward to more than doing the fight. Perhaps because I was never much good at fighting... (Hah!) or maybe (Huh!). Whatever.

9-7-06 Edited to say that if you click on the funny oblong thingy at the top of this post, you will get a link to the Old Lock and Weir pub.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home